Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I Thought Weekends Were Supposed To Be Fun

I'm sick of winter. Really, really sick of it. Not because it has been a cold winter. Not even because the schools here actually closed due to the cold temperatures. Not because the cold forces us indoors most of the time. I am sick of winter because I am sick of illness. Earlier in the season, both girls got a stomach bug. I got a cold, then Melissa got a cold. Keri got a stomach bug AGAIN. She started vomiting Saturday night. Sunday night she spiked a fever. Monday she started coughing. This morning a sore throat.

What is the deal? Keri informed me that she really hopes that I don't get laid off because she is sick. I told her if I get laid off it wont be because she is sick. I told her that means that I was going to get laid off anyway. She is in the bed and I am home from work for the second day in a row. Yesterday I got quite a bit of the laundry caught up. I don't know what I will do with myself today. I wont be eating seeing as I have yet to make it to the grocery store.

So Friday I had to come home from work and give Keri some bad news. Her Grandpa Jim who lived in Michigan had a heart attack in his sleep and died. Grandpa Jim is her dad's dad. Grandpa Jim adopted Keri's dad when he was around 11. (I think.) Grandpa Jim was actually KD's uncle by marriage. At one time he had been married to KD's aunt (his mom's sister). He was a good man. It's hard to believe he is gone. It was the first time I had to tell one of my children that someone they were close to had died. It was really sad. Because of the distance, we wont be able to attend the funeral.

We had already made plans to go shopping for clothes. Did I mention that Keri hit another growth spurt and once again outgrew all her clothes? This time I was more prepared. This time I didn't believe I shrunk all of her clothes like the last time. I told Keri we didn't have to shop if she didn't feel up to it. She decided that she still needed clothes and went on shopping.

I was very pleased with the outcome of the shopping trip. Keri got six pairs of jeans and three shirts and a light jacket. I got a shirt, a pair of jeans, and a pair of pants for work. Melissa got two shirts. I spent $144. Plus I got thirty bucks in Kohl's cash. Yay for Kohl''s cash! Obviously it takes very little to excite me. We decided to eat dinner out. Melissa had driven her car separately.

When we arrived at the restaurant, Melissa had been crying. I don't know why. Saturday I had to work all day at DSJ. I was COMPLETELY exhausted by the time I got home. As soon as I walked in the door the phone was ringing. We were supposed to go to a birthday party at six. It was now 6:30. Dang. All I wanted to do was curl up on the couch but we went to the birthday party instead. I had already given my word that we would be there.

On the way there, Keri started complaining that she didn't feel well. By the time we were headed home, she was barfing in a bag. Sunday was pretty much a repeat of Saturday, minus the birthday party. Worked. Sick kid. Exhausted. Did not make it to the grocery store. Yesterday, stayed home with sick kid, still did not make it to the grocery store. Cupboards are bare, the frig is empty. Kid is sick. Still have no idea what's going on with the lay offs. I feel my sanity slowly slipping away..........

3 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Yikes. I hope it gets better. You may want to get her a throat culture. In our house barf+ sore throat= strep throat. Sorry.

HW said...

I don't even know what to say....

Farrell said...

Well if it makes you feel any better, i had a sinus infection all weekend and now sophie does which means that when I need sleep more than ever before in my life, she is up to all hours complaining and then is an absolute BEAST in the morning. At school, an angel, then I come and get her and she starts throwing herself on the kitchen floor: rinse and repeat.
SIGH.
UGH.