Sunday, May 10, 2009

Making Mother's Day All About Me.....Me, Me, Me

Seeing as it's Mother's Day, I thought I would reflect on stuff that's....well, motherly. At present, all is peaceful and serene in my little household. The girls and I went grocery shopping today. I cleaned out our vile and disgusting microwave. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months weeks. I was thinking about Thursday morning.

It started out like any other Thursday morning. I got up and got ready and made sure Keri was doing the same. After I finished getting ready I went into the kitchen to make my lunch for the day. As I slapped some mayo on a piece of bread, I heard an extremely loud, girlish scream. I mean a really blood curdling scream, worthy of any scary movie ever produced. Several things happened all at once. Fear and alarm coursed through me instantly. At the same time, the logical, sensible part of my brain was trying to figure out what could cause such a scream. I mentally went through a short list. An intruder, a snake maybe, or it could be a mouse.

I also thought it was strange that even though the screaming continued, Keri never came running out of the bathroom. I went around the bar and headed for the bathroom. I met Keri at the bedroom door. She had fresh tears in her eyes. " Mom, there was a spider on my pants, a big, ugly spider. I don't know where it went". This was said with all the seriousness and hysteria that only a ten year old girl can feel. I still don't know why she took her pants off instead of just knocking the spider off.

I spotted this monter demon of a spider (which in all actuality was the size of your typical house spider) and quickly grabbed the nearest shoe I could find. Then, entirely for Keri's benefit, I gave that spider a beat down like it had never seen. (Or ever will see, seeing as how I killed it)Of course even after I beat the tar out of it, sending little spider legs flying in all directions, Keri asked, "Are you sure it's dead?"

My lips twitched as I fought off a smile, or a laugh. I knew at this point that if I laughed at her while she was still traumatized, she would be very upset with me.

It must be one of those "mother" things to be able to stand in your kitchen, hearing your child screaming at the top of her lungs, and still have the sense to be logical and try to figure out what the screaming is all about. All in a matter of a few seconds. I was very methodical in trying to narrow down the possibilities.

Melissa gave me cash for Mother's Day, per my request. She gave it to me early so I decided to go shopping yesterday. I couldn't make up my mind before I left the house on what I wanted to shop for. I decided just go browse around and see if anything spoke to me. Keri was gone and Melissa was working, so I was all by my lonesome little self. I started at Wal-Mart. It's the logical starting point because you kind find almost anything there. I walked through the store looking at household items, electronics, movies, and just about everything. Nothing really jumped out at me and said, "Buy me please, let me go home with you"

Not feeling defeated I headed over to Kohl's. Last week I bought a couple of towels there. I mean really big, fluffy, soft towels. The first time I used one, my eyes rolled back in my head and sigh of pleaure escaped my lips. I was thinking about buying a couple of more of these towels. You see, in my world, all the towels in the house can't be replaced at once. But they all sure to seem to wear out at once. I had always just bought whatever towels were cheap. No biggy right? They are just towels.

That was until I bought those fluffy, cloudlike towels last week. Knowing I still needed more towels to replace the old, raggedy ones, I was off. I did buy a couple more of those towels that surely came straight from heaven.

Over a year ago, my sister painted my living room, some of you will remember this. Since then I have yet to hang back ONE single picture on my wall. My walls have been unbearably...well bare. I spotted some frames that I liked and bought five frames, plus one cute decorative frame. Feeling really good about how I was spending my money, I headed home. You see, I have done NOTHING to decorate my living room in the last year. It just hasn't been one of my priorities.

I had some really old pictures, that have NEVER even been in a frame. So here are some of my choices. I'm not finished yet, by the way. I just didn't have enough cash to buy any more frames yesterday.

This a black and white of Melissa. I'm not even sure how old she was. My sister Marlette took the picture


Keri's second grade pic (Sorry for the glare off the camera)


I have to say that the black and white's taken by my sister are my favorite. It is such a joy to finally have them framed and on the wall.

This is an overview of the final result. I think they look pretty good considering we didn't have a tape measure
Anyway, I stopped on my way home and got some lunch. Later my sister Dejah came over and helped me hang all the pictures.
**************************************************************************
Due to some very careful financial planning and saving, an unexpected financial windfall and the fact that there are five paychecks this month, I am going to buy a new TV in a couple of weeks. I am looking for a flat screen LCD. If anyone knows a good brand, please share. I am leaning towards a Vizio. I have heard good things about them, and the company is based out of California. I like that because my money will stay here in the U.S.of A.


Happy Mother's Day to all you mothers, HW, Farrell, Laura, Redneck Mommy, Jen over at Amazing Trips, Fiona Picklebottom, Kym and everyone else. Hope yours was great.

5 comments:

Farrell said...

Thanks for the shout out! Glad to hear you had a good day.
Vizio is what my parents bought me for xmas - flat screen, hi-def, LCD, etc. They got a really good deal on it at costco and they liked it so much they bought one for themselves! I highly recommend!

Laura said...

Those are sooo lovely! And the final effect does look stunning!

I have loads of photos I still want framed but frames never seem a priority on my list of things to buy each month *sigh*

Astarte said...

They look beautiful, both the photos themselves AND the kids! What a nice way to spend mother's day, alone and yet still with your kids. :)

We have a Samsung flat screen, but I've heard good things about Vizio, too.

HW said...

The photo arrangement looks great. I also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE black and white photos.

Thanks for the mother's day greeting. A belated Happy Mother's Day to you too.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

Thanks for the Mother's Day wishes. I hope yours was wonderful! I am so far behind in blogging and reading blogs, that I am reading this Mother's Day post on Memorial Day. Really, I need to find some time... it's all this damn MOTHERING shit I always seem to be doing, I guess. ;)