Tuesday, May 26, 2009

No Power Tools For Me

Happy Memorial Day......one day late. I took off Friday so that I could have a nice four day weekend,  and work on some projects around the house. Friday morning I got up promptly at 6 am. I took Keri to school and then headed out to buy some gardening tools. The three years in college and a six month stint at the DSJ left my yard in shambles. No weeds had been pulled, no bushes trimmed, nothing. For two years. It's shameful, I know, but I had to prioritize. You know, do school work or pull weeds. I picked the school work.

So I spent the ENTIRE day pulling weeds, clipping bushes, cleaning, and just generally trying to turn my yard into something semi acceptable. It took all day. I do mean ALL FRIGGIN DAY. It was dusk when I finally decided I had enough.

Saturday, a birthday party for my nephew. Which turned into an all day event.

Sunday was devoted to grocery shopping and cleaning the house.

(Bear with me I'm leading up to something here)

Yesterday was the big day.

 
I started with this.

 
And this. Sadly, per the instruction manual,  I was unable to use my power drill. Oh well, there is always next time.

 
I think it probably took me an hour just to get this done. Someone who shall remain nameless...Dejah Belit Jackson was SUPPOSED to come and help me but NNNNNOOOOO. I had to do this all alone.

Somehow I found the strength to go on.....ALLLL ALONE.

 
See that white edge directly above this print? I put the shelf on backwards then I had to take it apart and fix it.This is why I have no business doing these sort of  "projects".

Alas I plunged forward into the world of screws, do- hickeys and slabs of wood. This took a really long time. Really, I'm not being sarcastic.

 
I did this all by myself. I can't believe it. If someone who shall remain nameless Dejah Jackson would have showed up, I could have finished in half the time. (I think)

 
Let's stop and take a moment to observe what a disorganized heathen I am. Can you believe this came out my old one? I can't. I'm still sort of shocked.

 
I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel by now. I am also getting very bored with the whole I-can-do-it-myself-independent-woman-who-needs-your-help-anyway syndrome.

 
Oh ye of little faith. Did you think I couldn't do it? Well I didn't think I could do it. As a matter of fact, this baby sat in my living room for a week before I was brave enough to attempt this. I did open the box once. When I saw the giant bag of screws, nails, and other metal thingys, I was so overwhelmed I put the bag of screws back in the box and didn't look at it again for a week.

 It was worth it. 

 
Eight hours later, it was worth it. Count them I said eight. As in one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight. 
When I put my new 42 inch, LCD, flat screen TV on that baby, it was so worth it. 
Now when I can't afford to go out, I will at least have my TV. Yes, I said eight hours for me to put that thing together. I will say that the instructions were some of the best instructions I have ever read. There were even "actual size" pictures of the various screws, which came in handy cuz I am mechanically challenged. Still wish I could have used my power drill.....sigh

5 comments:

Laura said...

WOW WOW WOW!

WE ARE NOT WORTHY!

That is fantastic!!!!!!!

WELL DONE

Merrie said...

You go girl!! Isn't putting something like that together TOTALLY invigorating?! I've done a few projects and I love seeing it come together. Good for you! And enjoy that new tv -- I think you've earned it!

Astarte said...

Hooray!!!

Farrell said...

Oh man - i did yard work too and i'm still sore. Don't have one of those fancy electric bush trimmers; had to do it with hand clippers....

I am the same way with those projects except i get REALLY frustrated like "THIS SHOULDN'T BE SO HARD WHY CAN'T I FIGURE THIS OUT OMIG I MUST BE RETARTED."

Congrats; looks great!

HW said...

Clearly you are more woman than I am.

That thing is really pretty.