Friday, February 22, 2008

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar

It has been a full day. I started off the day determined to get the living room fit for company. I turned on the vacuum cleaner, and realized it wasn't picking up anything. After some investigation by me, the self proclaimed vacuum cleaner expert, I determined that there was a clog.

The first order of business was to find a screwdriver. Of course I couldn't find one anywhere. I looked in every drawer and cabinet in the entire house. I eventually found a flat head even though I needed a phillips. I got a couple of screws out then decided that trying to unscrew a screw with the wrong screwdriver was just no fun. Then I remembered that there was a power drill/screwdriver in my closet. I have NEVER used a power tool in my entire life.

I get out the power drill and spend about ten minutes figuring out how to work the thing. By this time, I was covered in dust and dirt from the clog I was trying to get out of the hose. It was ten in the morning and I was already filthy. I used the power drill to remove the rest of the screws and take the vacuum apart. I was amazed. What a wonderful invention! I don't think I will ever be able to use a regular screwdriver again.

I unclog the vacuum and very quickly got it put back together. By.Myself. I was so proud of this accomplishment. I was on cloud nine. I have attached a picture to document this historic occasion. Pay no attention to the dirt inside the vacuum. This may be the last thing I ever successfully fix on my own. I am an independent woman. I can fix some things by myself. I am woman, hear me roar.





















Later I headed out to Wal-Mart to pick up a few more things for the baby shower. Namely, a carseat and stroller combo. Which I was able to heft into the buggy by myself. Not an easy task I have to say. I think I was able to pull it off due to a testosterone surge brought on by repairing the vacuum.




















Once home, I resume my desperate attempts to get my house into a presentable state before tomorrow. As I cleaned, I just found more and more stuff to clean. I noticed that all my door frames were dirty. I cleaned those. I noticed some cobwebs in some of the corners. I cleaned those. I noticed that the vacuum cleaner does not clean the cracks where the carpet meets the baseboard. I cleaned the cracks. I noticed that EVERY.SINGLE.CABINET(AND DRAWER) in my entire house needs to be cleaned out. I did not tackle that. Even as crazed as I was, I realized I would never have time to finish a project like that.

After spending nearly an entire day in one room, I was exhausted. I didn't even start on the computer room, which is the first thing you see when you walk in the door, or my bathroom. The shower is tomorrow. How in the world am I going to find the time and energy to clean anymore? I don't know. To top it all off, Marlette is coming down with some kind of virus or something. Marlette is my helper.And she is sick. She is bringing most of the items needed for the shower. I told her if worse comes to worse, I can go out and get the last few things we need for the shower, such as a tablecloth, streamer, a banner, the cake, and the ingredients to make the punch. She insists that she will pull through. (Lord, please let her feel better tomorrow.Please. Please. )

I did get the presents from me wrapped. That's ONE good thing.















I also picked up a few blank DVD's while I was out. My plan is to burn some DVD's for my sister. I want her to have some chick flicks to watch while she is on maternity leave. After all, what's better for postpartum depression than sappy love stories? OK-let me set this up so you can really get the picture. I used a power tool this morning. I fixed a vacuum cleaner by myself. I toted a very heavy stroller and carseat by myself. Yet I find myself unable to open a package of DVD's. That's right. I have been trying to open the pack all evening off and on. I still can't get them open. It doesn't appear to be that difficult, I just can't seem to manage it. Which is really ironic if you think about it. I took a vacuum cleaner almost completely apart by myself, yet I can't open a plastic container of DVD's.















I have twisted and pulled. I have no idea how to get into the DVD's. That's what I get for feeling all good about the mechanical accomplishment of the day. Obviously, it does not pay to get cocky.


I am attaching the last picture of The DQ. For no other reason than I think it's cute.


1 comment:

HW said...

Ok. For the DVD pack, make sure there is not a piece of tape holding it closed. That's what I always find is keeping me out of one of those things. If that doesn't work, give it to a small child (your younger daughter MIGHT be little enough) and said child will have it open right quick.

I LOVE to use my husbands power drill/screwdriver. For two years I have been asking for my own tool kit (they make pink ones, ya know) and nobody takes me seriously.

Hope the shower went well; and I'm sure your house looks fine.