Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Princess Diaries

Today was a special day for The Drama Queen. We had her birthday party today. Her birthday was actually Monday, but we had the official party today. Now, The Drama Queen is also The Princess. I don't refer to her as The Princess because that is name currently under use by a blog buddy. The main problem with me having a princess, is that I do not have a proper princess income. I have the income of a single mother who is not receiving child support from either father.

The Drama Queen has been to the mall a couple of times when I have taken Sissy to get her nails done. Sissy is almost sixteen. At any rate, she always feels left out. I told her she is too young to be getting her nails done. (She just turned nine). For her birthday I told her I would pay for her and a couple of her friends to get manicures and as a special birthday treat, she could get a pedicure.

She has been looking forward to this for over a month. It was all planned out. So today was the special manicure and pedicure day. I really like to think that I am a level headed mother. I provide for my children but I don't see myself as being "over the top". Sometimes they get extra treats and sometimes they don't. So off we go to the nail salon. I walked in the door with the girls and told the employee that I wanted two manicures and a pedicure. He did not speak clear English to begin with. I finally conveyed to him that the manicures and pedicure were for the children.

He looked at me like I was crazy and so did everyone else in the place. Anyone with half a brain could look at me and tell that I am clearly the one who needs a manicure and pedicure. Why in the world would a mother pay for nine year olds to be getting this stuff? Was I out of my mind? Several of the customers even asked my daughter how old she was. As I was sitting there I glanced down at my own feet. I do need a pedicure. My feet look hideous. If the truth be told, I am thirty two years and I have never experienced the joy of a pedicure. The main reason is because I just can't justify spending that kind of money for someone to scrub my feet and put polish on my toes. The other reason is I just can't justify spending that kind of money for someone to scrub my feet and put polish on my toes.

When I made the decision that I would do this for The Drama Queen's birthday I really didn't think anything of it. As I was sitting there looking at my hideous feet, one the employees asked me if I wanted a pedicure. I said no. He actually said to me something like, " You are paying for the little girl to get a pedicure but not one for yourself?" Now I am feeling uncomfortable with the whole thing. Was I one of those OVER THE TOP moms? You know the one I am talking about. The one that brings the petting zoo to the house for the one year olds birthday party. You drive by the house and it looks like a three ring circus is taking place right in your neighborhood.
(No offense to anyone who has done this, it's just too much for me)

After a while, I realized that this is not the case with me. I do for my children, but they don't get everything they want. This was a special birthday treat. Why should I be made to feel uncomfortable about doing something special once in a while for one of my children? Frankly, even if it is a little much, it's really no one else's problem but mine. After all, What I eat don't make you fat.

The bottom line is that we all do what we think is best for our children. Of course, everyone is not going to agree on what that is. What it all comes down to is that there is only one person you have to answer to for your parenting choices, and that is you.

I am glad that The Drama Queen was able to experience getting spoiled a little bit...............Dear Lord, please don't let her want a whole day at the spa next year.

No comments: