Sunday, October 28, 2007

Early Shopping

The DQ and I headed to the Wal-Mart to pick up a few groceries. I also wanted to get a little more of my Christmas shopping done. I know, I know. Halloween is not even here yet. Here's the thing. My company has had a poor year. What this means for me is NO.CHRISTMAS.BONUS. For the last three years I have used my bonus to get my Christmas shopping done. Well, I can't do that if there are not going to be any bonuses. Therefore, I took it upon myself to start Christmas shopping early. Which I did in September.

This broke my record. It was the first time in all my adult life that I actually got an early start. For those of you who don't know this, single parents are seldom financially prepared for the holidays. Those that are in my situation probably don't even have anything put up for a rainy day. I will tell you why. Every single time ANY extra money comes your way, you are bombarded with the following needs and/or requests(If your children are age 15 and 9):
New shoes
clothes
money for field trips
socks
underwear
haircuts
money for fundraisers
treats for a party at school
school pictures(which are EXTREMELY overpriced)
Yearbooks
Football game money
bras
cars(I actually am prepared for this one)
gas money (Not quite yet, but it's coming)
makeup
Clinique (Because this is the ONLY thing that helps keep Sissy's skin clear)
a partridge in a pear tree


I think you get the idea. I promise you, it happens. Every.Single.Time. This year is going to be different. Because my company always issued the bonus checks the week before Christmas, I would end of doing all my shopping the weekend before Christmas. Which REALLY SUCKS! Not this year. I already have about 80% of my shopping done. The presents are wrapped and stashed in a closet. Sometimes I just open the closet and look at my progress, and feel the joy and happiness of actually being prepared for once in my life.

Now I know there will be those that think I am crazy. Well if you are just now figuring that out, you obviously don't know me very well. The DQ actually came up with a genius plan. She took my camera to Wal-Mart and took pictures of stuff that she wants for Christmas. I know this seems crazy, but I am posting the pictures. I think this may actually help out the family members. Everyone, PLEASE let me know if you get any of these items.




Here I am being a true rebel. I climbed up the ladder which had a sign that read: Associates Only....I am such law breaker!

Size 2 1/2 or 3













1 comment:

HW said...

My mom raised four kids alone and ALWAYS started her Christmas shopping in August, for just the reasons you mentioned.
What a good idea to take the camera for her wish list!
School Pictures? Do NOT get me started. Not only are they overpriced, but our school does them TWICE a year.
I hate that.