Sunday, March 9, 2008

The Tennesse Blizzard

I would like to talk about my new trauma. I love sleep. I love getting eight full hours of sleep. On the weekends, I love to sleep late. To me, this is getting up between 8:30 and 9:30. Now that my girls are older, I can do this. They both know better than to wake me up. Here in the last three weeks, something dreadful has begun happening to me. I am waking up around 7:30.....ON SATURDAY. This is not like when you wake up, squint your eyes at the clock, and go back to sleep. This is the deal where your eyes pop open and you are instantly wide awake. At.7:30.AM.

One of the girls I work with gets up at 5:30 on the weekends. The horror!!!!! She is a little older and I have heard that as you get older, you tend to wake up earlier. I don't want to wake up earlier. I am not so much concerned with the getting older part. One of the thrills of the weekend, besides not having to work, is knowing that I can get up when I feel like it. I am not on board for my eyeballs popping open so early on the weekends.

Our winter blizzard came in sometime after I went to bed Friday night. This morning all the snow is melted. It's hard to believe that it looked like this just yesterday.


The DQ had a friend stay over Friday night. When the girls woke up and saw the snow, they wanted to bundle up and go outside. They each donned two pairs of pants, a couple of pairs of socks, a couple of jackets and headed outside. I peeked out the front window and saw my neighbors across the street. I watched the kids having a snowball fight. I noticed that the kids were dressed in puffy coats, toboggans, gloves, scarves, and snow boots. I thought about what The DQ had on. She left her good winter coat at school, so she layered herself in a couple of lighter coats. N0 toboggan, and her gloves were a pair of socks over her hands, no snow boots, or scarf either. She did have a hat attached to one of her jackets.

I felt bad for a minute that she wasn't dressed like an Alaskan Eskimo. I thought to myself that she looked like an orphan child. The truth of the matter is, that we are LUCKY to get any snow. The weather in Tennessee is very up and down. One day the high might be 50 degrees. The next day it could be 35 degrees. Ya just never know. Our lack of snow makes it seem like such a waste of money to buy her new snow boots, and all this other gear that she MIGHT really need one day out of the entire winter. Not to mention that it's kinda hard to find snow boots in these here parts. Or sleds either.

No comments: